Party

Friday, September 5, 2008

Well I had a party and didn't take a single picture, I can't believe I forgot. It was a Taste of Home party, you know the kind someone comes selling something. It kinda felt like a time share presentation, you have to listen to the presentation then have the fun. It wasn't really so bad & I liked what she was selling, you can never have enough serving dishes. Anyway I think I liked the food that I served the most (along with the friends of course) and thought I'd share the recipes. My favorite thing was the berry cones from Rachel Ray, which I found on the Hostess with the Mostess blog.
1 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons sugar
Grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
1/4 pound fresh cherries, halved, plus 10 whole for garnish
1 pint mixed berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries)
6 ounces milk or dark chocolate
20 sugar cones
1. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and the lemon peel. Mix well and refrigerate.
2. In a medium bowl, toss the halved cherries and mixed berries with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice. Refrigerate.
3. Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high, 20 to 30 seconds at a time, until the chocolate just starts to melt. Stir until smooth. Using a pastry brush, paint the inside of the cones with the melted chocolate. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate until the chocolate hardens, about 15 minutes.
4. To serve, stand the sugar cones in narrow glasses. Place a dollop of the sour cream mixture in each cone, then fill with the mixed berries. Top with another dollop of sour cream and garnish with a whole cherry.
Of course I altered it a bit. I used fresh strawberries and a few fresh black berries, and frozen raspberries. Omitting the cherries and blueberries and I used the chocolate shell stuff to line waffle cones instead of sugar cones. I would suggest though that you use sugar cones because they'll hold the stuff better. Anyway it was a big hit.

I also served my sisters Artichoke dip with homemade pita chips, also very yummy!
8oz. cream cheese-softened
1 C mayo
1- 14oz. can or jar of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2 green onions, sliced thin
1/2 C grated parm
1 C grated Motz.
Dash of hot sauce
Dash of worchestershire sauce
salt and pepper
*beat all ingredients together. Transfer to pie plate and bake at 350 for 30-40 min.

Pita Chips:
12 pitas
1/2 C olive oil
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp pepper
parmesan cheese

preheat oven to 400 degrees
Mix olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper in small bowl. Place two pitas on a cookie sheet brush with olive oil and sprinkle with parm cheese. Cut each into 8 pieces. Bake for about 7-8 min, watching carefully not to get too brown.

And finally I also made wanton cups filled with oriental chicken salad. These were pretty good but I made up the wonton cup the day before and they kinda tasted stale I think, you know chewy instead of crisp. I also tried a new chicken salad recipe that was pretty good.

(obviously what's in these is not the chicken salad)

Crunchy chicken salad
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 package (3 ounces) Oriental-flavor ramen noodle soup mix
2 tablespoons sesame seed
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups cut-up cooked chicken
1/2 cup dry-roasted peanuts
4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
1 bag (16 ounces) coleslaw mix
1. Melt butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Stir in seasoning packet from noodles. Break block of noodles into bite-size pieces over skillet; stir noodles into butter mixture. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly; stir in sesame seed. Cook about 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly, until noodles are golden brown.
2. Mix sugar, vinegar, oil and pepper in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and noodle mixture; toss.
I omitted the peanut, and doubled the dressing ingrediants.

I wish I'd taken pictures, I made these paper lanterns from this cute scrapbook paper and also used the paper on the table and a few other places.
This is the paper I used;




Oh well it was fun to do a party again and just eat and be with friends.

7 comments:

Dacia said...

It was a lot of fun and the food and company was great! Matthew loved the cone the best so I'm glad you posted your recipes!

Kelli said...

oh, it all sounds so yummy.

Joseph and Mary + Seven said...

I'm excited about these recipies. You always throw such great parties! I had a great time and the food was wonderful.

Halvorsen Family said...

You're so creative and talented, Tiffany. Everything sounded so tasty and scrumpous!

The Crabtree Chronicles said...

Yum! I think I'm going to have to try some of these!

Ryan Nielsen said...

I love this blog! I looove recipe sharing, so thank you! And these recipes are gorgeous!

Macie Crabtree said...

oooh, the recipes sound great!! I am ALWAYS trying to find yummy new food... the party sounds super fun!! what a whiz you are, young lady!! can you rellay do EVERYTHING??